Thursday, July 24, 2008

How can 3 be harder than 8?!

Had a tough run this morning, and it was all of 3 miles! This happens to me once in a while, I'll go out for what I think will be an easy 3, and it'll feel more tough than a 7 or 8 mile run.

I think the problem may be that I went to the gym with the plan of doing just 3. I guess it's a mindset thing, because when I go in with a plan to do say, 7, then 3 usually doesn't feel so bad. I hadn't run in a week before today (but I had worked out on the Elliptical a few times), but usually just a week off doesn't set me back much at all, but today was just hard. I didn't have to stop to walk or anything, it just felt tiring, I just wasn't all that into it. I ran it at a pace of about 9:15, which is pretty typical for me. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

I found a cool site, where you enter your name, and it shows you all the races you've been in. I had never heard of it before, yet I have a feeling that everyone else already has heard of it - I'll share it anyway, just in case. It's fun to see your name listed in all the races you've done, you can always stalk other people I guess too, if that's your thing! http://athlinks.com/

Not much else new going on here. Just waiting for summer to wind down, only a couple of months to go before we start to feel some relief around here. By relief, I mean October, where it's usually in the mid 80's instead of 90+ everyday!

How many of you do not belong to a gym? I am considering giving up the gym, just haven't decided yet. I have been going for about a year and a half now, and I have always enjoyed it, I love that Ava goes to the daycare there, makes it so much easier to get those workouts done. But, now that she'll be in school essentially all day starting next month, it might be easier for me to work out on my Elliptical at home, and do my running outside. Not sure that the gym will be worth the money anymore, as getting there between dropping her off and picking her up at two schools every day is going to be challenging. We'll see, still thinking that over, I have some time to figure it all out.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer! We're off to the beach this weekend for a few days, guess it's sort of a "Stay-cation", is that what they're calling it?

5 comments:

Jess said...

Oh, I can relate. I've had some glorious long runs that feel like I could run forever, and then I'll run soemthing short and it will go terribly. There's just so many factors in each and every run that can affect their quality!

Have fun at the beach!

Erin Leigh said...

I struggled big time myself yesterday.

As for the gym, I could never give it up but I have no equipment at home.

I would wait it out though a bit just to see how it goes. Wait til you are into the new routine for a bit before you make your choice.

J~Mom said...

I am still totally undecided on the gym. I joined it when Aaron started working some longer hours so that I could still get my workouts done but I find that I enjoy working out in the outdoors so much more. I will probably give it up when the year contract expires and just stick to early mornings and late evenings. It is a nice alternative though on the days when nothing else might get done.

Caren said...

Sounds like a cool site but I've never been in a race so I wouldn't be on there! ha ha!

I could never give up my gym membership either, I just like going too much. I would never work out at home, even if I did have the equipment!

Michelle said...

I had a run like that yesterday (you know that, though, LOL).

I am not a gym member. I can't afford it right now. But I do have the stationary bike and my elliptical, so I don't really feel the need to go to a gym right now. Plus I prefer running outside to running on a treadmill.