Friday, May 16, 2008

Break out the Roller Blades

I've had them for probably 10 years, but haven't used them in at least 2. I dug them out of the garage last week, I take the little one down the street each day to play with all the neighborhood kids, and I figured if I have to be out there, I may as well squeeze in some extra exercise, right?

When I took them out of the garage last week, the buckle part was broken on both of them. Probably the Florida heat melted them, I figure. But, they're still usable, so I'm throwing them on each afternoon, yesterday I scooted around on them for 2 hours, and this was after a 7 mile run earlier in the day - yay! I love finding ways for extra exercise.

Speaking of the FL heat, it's hot here. I decided the other day to run outdoors while my little one was at school - at 12 in the afternoon. Temp was probably in the low 80's, which is about 20 degrees above my maximum running temp. I don't know what I was thinking, but it wasn't all that bad, I think I thought it would be worse. Humidity has been on the low side, so it was more do-able than I thought it would be. But, I think my occasional outdoor runs are not going to happen again for quite some time, unless it gets done at 6am. Otherwise, the treadmill it is.

4 comments:

J~Mom said...

There is a girl here that roller blades on the same path that I bike on. I always think it looks like so much fun!

Michelle said...

I always think about busting out my old roller blades, but I am afraid I'll fall and break myself. LOL!

Great job getting the extra exercise in!

Erin Leigh said...

I am so not coordinated enough to rollerblade!!! Good for you! I hear you with the heat. I struggle big time!

Caren said...

WOW! Rollerblading brings back memories. I used to skate all over the city with a friend of mine, it was long before The Son was born but it sure was fun. I could never do that now but I actually have thought of digging them out of storage to try and skate around my neighborhood. I'm sure I'd be a sight to see the way I look right now! ha ha! Don't even know if I could do it. Glad you're having fun with it though. Keep it up, it IS great exercise.